17 Oct 2008

Being back.

6 months does not sound like a long time when you say it like that. 214 days sounds a bit longer but its still quite a small number. But five thousand one hundred and thirty six hours that’s a fair old long time but its still only 6 months. 6 months was how long I was away from the UK and my mates. To be honest the whole thing felt like it was only 6 weeks and not 6 months. I have to pinch my self to remind myself of how long it really was. During the time in Africa I did cover a fair few miles both on the road and in the air.

Drove around 15000km (9200 miles)
Flew loads! I will sit down and try and work out how many air miles I actually flew but here is an idea of how many flights I took.
UK to Rome – Rome to Frankfurt – Frankfurt to South Africa.
Jo’burg to Cape Town then onto Walvis Bay and back the same way. I did that. Jo’burg to Walvis Bay and back twice.
Jo’burg to Zambia and back.
Durban to Jo’burg twice.
Jo’burg to Frankfurt – Frankfurt to Birmingham

Total of 19 planes in 6 months (average of 3.16 flights per month!)

I dare not think how many times I visited Nando’s or Steers ( a fast food place that make the best ham burgers in my book) but I am sure I am owed shares in these places.

But some more noticeable figures are.

• 3 converted containers being shipped out side of South Africa to be used as Wellness Centres.
• 1 fully open Wellness Centre in Walvis Bay, Namibia.
• Zambia Chirundu should now be well on its way to be fully open as we now have got the funds to Zambia. (Probably the biggest challenge we had to face was sending money to Zambia from South Africa – it took months to sort out!)
• Being part of South Africa’s first LIM Project ( Low Income Medical ) that has the potential to benefit around 15 000 staff members who work in the courier industry and there dependants ( around 30 000 – 35 000 people in total) to receive cost effect heath care.

So on the whole I did a fair bit in time I was in Africa so I guess though it did not feel that long I must have been there that long to do all the above.

Over the past week and a bit I have been asked numerous times “Are you happy to be back?” I am happy to be back with my mates. All the travelling in Africa was a bit lonely. Yes I was meeting people but they can not replace ones mates so I am very happy to see them again. As for being back in the UK? MMMM it’s a bit early to draw any conclusion on that one. Only time will tell.

No comments: